Professor Hector Malano
- Climate change adaptation of water resource management (Scenario planning & hydro-economic analysis)
- Urban water cycle modelling and management (Optimisation of multiple supplies and fit-for-purpose water use)
- Water Resources Management (Water allocation, irrigation, environment)
water resource management
conjunction management surface and ground water
Hector graduated in Agricultural Engineering in 1973 at the National University of Cordoba, Argentina. In 1981 he was awarded a Masters degree in Irrigation and Drainage Engineering from Utah State University (USA) for research carried out into the behaviour of infiltration under surge flow hydraulics. He was subsequently awarded a PhD in Irrigation Engineering from the same university in 1985 for his research into two-dimensional numerical modelling of interceptor drains. In 2006, he was appointed Head of the Department of Civil & Environmental Engineering.
Hector has conducted research on various aspects of water resources at three scales: (i) On-farm modelling of surface irrigation systems, (ii) Modelling of irrigation distribution networks; and (iii) water allocation between competing uses at the catchment level (iv) Management and modelling of the urban water cycle with special emphasis on complex systems. This research focuses on the design of evidence based planning policies for achieving fit-for-purpose utilisation of multiple sources and multiple demands of water.
Hector has extensive involvement in international professional and research organisations. More recently, he concluded a 3-year term as Vice-President of the International Commission on Irrigation and Drainage. He has consulted for several international organisations including the World Bank, AusAID and Food and Agriculture Organisation of the United Nations.
Hector has authored and co-authored over 150 scientific papers on these topics. He is currently Chief Investigator of several research grants including Allocation Modelling in the Krishna Basin (India), Regional and Economic Benefits Through Smarter Irrigation (Hydraulic Modelling). He is the node coordinator of the CRC for Irrigation Futures and is involved in the CRC for eWater.
Departmental Research Group involvement:
Global research profiles:
Scopus Author ID: 6603386419
- Delgoda D, Malano H, Saleem SK, Halgamuge M. A novel generic optimization method for irrigation scheduling under multiple objectives and multiple hierarchical layers in a canal network. ADVANCES IN WATER RESOURCES. Pergamon. 2017, Vol. 105.
- Rathnayaka K, Malano H, Arora M, George B, Maheepala S, Nawarathna B. Prediction of urban residential end-use water demands by integrating known and unknown water demand drivers at multiple scales I: Model development. RESOURCES CONSERVATION AND RECYCLING. Elsevier Science. 2017, Vol. 117.
- Rathnayaka K, Malano H, Arora M, George B, Maheepala S, Nawarathna B. Prediction of urban residential end-use water demands by integrating known and unknown water demand drivers at multiple scales II: Model application and validation. Resources, Conservation and Recycling. Elsevier Science. 2017, Vol. 118.
- Kosovac A, Malano H, Davidson A, Cook J. The Varied Nature of Risk and Considerations for the Water Industry: A Review of the Literature. Environment and Natural Resources Research. Canadian Center of Science and Education. 2017, Vol. 7, Issue 2.
- Sapkota M, Arora M, Malano H, Moglia M, Sharma A, George B, Pamminger F. An Integrated Framework for Assessment of Hybrid Water Supply Systems. WATER. MDPI AG. 2016, Vol. 8, Issue 1.
- Arora M, Ngo T, Aye L, Malano H, Lade O. An Integrated Simulation and Visualisation Platform for the Design of Sustainable Urban Developments in a Peri-Urban Context. Balanced Urban Development: Options and Strategies for Liveable Cities. Springer International Publishing. 2016. Editors: Maheshwari B, Singh VP, Thoradeniya B.
- Rathnayaka K, Malano H, Arora M. Assessment of Sustainability of Urban Water Supply and Demand Management Options: A Comprehensive Approach. WATER. MDPI AG. 2016, Vol. 8, Issue 12.
- Delgoda D, Malano H, Saleem SK, Halgamuge M. Irrigation control based on model predictive control (MPC): Formulation of theory and validation using weather forecast data and AQUACROP model. ENVIRONMENTAL MODELLING & SOFTWARE. Elsevier Science. 2016, Vol. 78.
- Delgoda D, Saleem SK, Malano H, Halgamuge M. Root zone soil moisture prediction models based on system identification: Formulation of the theory and validation using field and AQUACROP data. AGRICULTURAL WATER MANAGEMENT. Elsevier. 2016, Vol. 163.
- Sapkota M, Arora M, Malano H, Moglia M, Sharma A, George B, Pamminger F. An Overview of Hybrid Water Supply Systems in the Context of Urban Water Management: Challenges and Opportunities. WATER. MDPI AG. 2015, Vol. 7, Issue 1.
- McMahon T, Malano H, Schultz B. Comment on the Reference to Makkink Potential Evaporation Equation. JOURNAL OF IRRIGATION AND DRAINAGE ENGINEERING. ASCE - American Society of Civil Engineers. 2015, Vol. 141, Issue 1.
- Arora M, Malano H, Davidson B, Nelson R, George B. Interactions between centralized and decentralized water systems in urban context: A review. WILEY INTERDISCIPLINARY REVIEWS-WATER. Wiley-Blackwell Publishing. 2015, Vol. 2, Issue 6.
- Acharya S, George B, Aye L, Nair S, Nawarathna B, Malano H. Life Cycle Energy and Greenhouse Gas Emission Analysis of Groundwater-Based Irrigation Systems. IRRIGATION AND DRAINAGE. John Wiley & Sons. 2015, Vol. 64, Issue 3.
- Teluguntla P, Ryu D, George B, Walker JP, Malano H. Mapping Flooded Rice Paddies Using Time Series of MODIS Imagery in the Krishna River Basin, India. REMOTE SENSING. MDPI AG. 2015, Vol. 7, Issue 7.
- Finger L, Wang Q, Malano H, Chen D, Morris M. Productivity and water use of grazed subsurface drip irrigated perennial pasture in Australia. IRRIGATION SCIENCE. Springer Verlag. 2015, Vol. 33, Issue 2.
View a full list of publications on the University of Melbourne’s ‘Find An Expert’ profile