Dr Guillermo Narsilio
- Geotechnical Engineering and Soil Science (geothermal energy)
- Geotechnical Technology
- Geothermal Energy
- Material Characterization (porous media, granular media, soils)
- Numerical modelling
Dr Guillermo Narsilio is an Australian Research Council Future Fellow (and Senior Lecturer) in the Department of Infrastructure Engineering at The University of Melbourne.
He received his PhD in Geotechnical Engineering (2006) and his Masters in Mathematics (2006) and in Geotechnical Engineering (2003) from Georgia Institute of Technology (USA). He obtained his Diploma in Civil Engineering from the National University of Cordoba (Argentina) in 2001. He is the first and only Australian to have received the ISSMGE Outstanding Young Geotechnical Engineer Award, an honour given only every 4 years by the International Society of Soil Mechanics and Geotechnical Engineering (ISSMGE) among geotechnical engineers and researchers worldwide. He co-authored a keynote paper with his former supervisor Prof Carlos Santamarina, considered one of the world's top geotechnical researchers, and another keynote paper with Prof Ian Johnston, well recognised in Australasia and the world. Narsilio did his postdoctoral experience at The University of Melbourne, guided by Prof David Smith, he became a Lecturer at the Melbourne School of Engineering in 2009, and he is now a Senior Lecturer. Narsilio has made important contributions to methane hydrates bearing sediments physical characterisation (this work was lead by Prof Santamarina, Prof Ruppel and Asst/Prof Yun, and has high impact in methane hydrates behaviour and extraction modelling, to use methane hydrates as an alternative energy source); multi-scale hydro-thermal conduction and diffusion geo-phenomena; and theoretical and numerical investigations of the chemo-mechanical properties of electrically charged porous materials (clays, shales, etc). In 2009, Narsilio was awarded (i) a Australian Postdoctoral Award (APD), by the ARC; and (ii) the inaugural Jack Morgan Award for outstanding contributions by a young geotechnical engineer to geomechanics in Victoria, by the Australian Geomechanics Society. Dr Narsilio's research interests include numerical modelling, multi-scale porous material characterisation and performance and the (sustainable) energy industry. He and a group of researchers at the Melbourne Energy Institute (Prof Ian Johnston, A/Prof Lu Aye, among others) are pursuing further research on basic and applied shallow and deep geothermal energy systems.
- Geotechnical Engineering
- Miao X, Narsilio G, Wu A, Yang B. A 3D dual pore-system leaching model. Part 1: Study on fluid flow. HYDROMETALLURGY. Elsevier Science. 2017, Vol. 167.
- Mikhaylova O, Johnston IA, Narsilio G. Assessment of Effective Borehole Thermal Resistance from Operational Data. IGSHPA Technical/Research Conference and Expo 2017. 2017.
- Afshar T, Miri Disfani M, Narsilio G, Arulrajah A. Changes to Grain Properties due to Breakage in a Sand Assembly using Synchrotron Tomography. EPJ Web of Conferences. 2017, Vol. 140.
- Lu Q, Narsilio G, Aditya G, Johnston I. Cost and performance data for residential buildings fitted with GSHP systems in Melbourne Australia. Data in Brief. 2017, Vol. 12.
- Narsilio G, Miri Disfani M, Orangi A. Discussion of "Fines Classification Based on Sensitivity to Pore-Fluid Chemistry" by Junbong Jang and J. Carlos Santamarina. JOURNAL OF GEOTECHNICAL AND GEOENVIRONMENTAL ENGINEERING. ASCE - American Society of Civil Engineers. 2017, Vol. 143, Issue 7.
- Lu Q, Narsilio G, Aditya G, Johnston I. Economic analysis of vertical ground source heat pump systems in Melbourne. ENERGY. Pergamon-Elsevier Science. 2017, Vol. 125.
- Narsilio G, Sanchez M, Alvarellos J, Guimaraes L. Editorial: XV Pan-American Conference: Selected papers on energy geotechnics. ENVIRONMENTAL GEOTECHNICS. ICE Publishing. 2017, Vol. 4, Issue 2.
- Zhou Y, Bidarmaghz A, Narsilio G, Aye L. Heating and cooling loads of a poultry shed in Central Coast, NSW, Australia. World Sustainable Built Environment Conference 2017 Hong Kong. 2017.
- Afshar T, Miri Disfani M, Arulrajah A, Narsilio G, Emam S. Impact of particle shape on breakage of recycled construction and demolition aggregates. POWDER TECHNOLOGY. Elsevier Science. 2017, Vol. 308.
- Orangi A, Narsilio G. Physical characterisation of soils recovered from the ANZAC battlefield. NEAR SURFACE GEOPHYSICS. 2017, Vol. 15, Issue 1.
- Sanchez M, Falcao F, MacK M, Pereira J-M, Narsilio G, Guimaraes L. Salient comments from an expert panel on energy geotechnics. ENVIRONMENTAL GEOTECHNICS. ICE Publishing. 2017, Vol. 4, Issue 2.
- Van Der Linden J, Tordesillas A, Narsilio G. Testing Occam's razor to characterize high-order connectivity in pore networks of granular media: Feature selection in machine learning. EPJ Web of Conferences. 2017, Vol. 140.
- Bidarmaghz A, Narsilio G, Buhmann P, Moormann C, Westrich B. Thermal interaction between tunnel ground heat exchangers and borehole heat exchangers. Geomechanics for Energy and the Environment. 2017, Vol. 10.
- Yang B, Wu A-X, Narsilio G, Miao X-X, Wu S-Y. Use of high-resolution X-ray computed tomography and 3D image analysis to quantify mineral dissemination and pore space in oxide copper ore particles. INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF MINERALS METALLURGY AND MATERIALS. Beijing Keji Daxue. 2017, Vol. 24, Issue 9.
- Buhmann P, Westrich B, Moormann C, Bidarmaghz A, Narsilio G. An investigation of the potential thermal energy of geothermal tunnels with focus on a case study in Stuttgart, Germany. Energy Geotechnics - Proceedings of the 1st International Conference on Energy Geotechnics, ICEGT 2016. 2016.
View a full list of publications on the University of Melbourne’s ‘Find An Expert’ profile