Professor Colin Duffield
- Infrastructure Procurement (Private financing)
- Risk Management and Procurement (Contracts, delivery systems)
- Structural Dynamics (High Rise, domestic)
Colin is Professor of Engineering Project Management and Civil Engineering Discipline Leader in the Department of Infrastructure Engineering, at The University of Melbourne. He is also a Board member of Infrastructure Australia and a Fellow of the Law School (where he delivers a master level unit in infrastructure procurement). He is a recognised international thought leader in the efficient procurement of public infrastructure and the incorporation of private finance as a mechanism for achieving value for money outcomes.
Colin has extensive experience in the governance of long term contracts and the interaction between policy, technical matters, risk management, financing and contractual arrangements. This expertise has been gained through: an involvement in infrastructure delivery for public and private clients (both as a practitioner and researcher); work on policy via secondment to Treasury and Finance, Victoria; as an adviser to projects on risk and project structuring; as an expert witness; and as an independent reviewer and researcher of major engineering contracts.
Colin’s research has been widely cited in Australia and Internationally by industry, government and peak independent commentators.
- Hodge G, Boulot E, Duffield C, Greve C. After the Ribbon Cutting: Governing PPPs in the Medium to Long Term. AUSTRALIAN JOURNAL OF PUBLIC ADMINISTRATION. Wiley-Blackwell Publishing Asia. 2017, Vol. 76, Issue 3. DOI: 10.1111/1467-8500.12239
- Sofi M, Lumantarna E, Mendis P, Duffield C, Rajabifard A. Assessment of a pedestrian bridge dynamics using interferometric radar system IBIS-FS. 6th Asia-Pacific Workshop on Structural Health Monitoring (APWSHM). Elsevier BV. 2017, Vol. 188. Editors: Chiu WK, Galea S, Mita A, Takeda N. DOI: 10.1016/j.proeng.2017.04.454
- Shen W, Tang W, Yu W, Duffield C, Hui K, Wei Y, Fang J. CAUSES OF CONTRACTORS' CLAIMS IN INTERNATIONAL ENGINEERING-PROCUREMENT-CONSTRUCTION PROJECTS. JOURNAL OF CIVIL ENGINEERING AND MANAGEMENT. Vilniaus Gedimino Technikos Universitetas, Leidykla Technika. 2017, Vol. 23, Issue 6. DOI: 10.3846/13923730.2017.1281839
- Atmo GU, Duffield C, Zhang L, Wilson D. Comparative performance of PPPs and traditional procurement projects in Indonesia. INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF PUBLIC SECTOR MANAGEMENT. Emerald Group Publishing Limited. 2017, Vol. 30, Issue 2. DOI: 10.1108/IJPSM-02-2016-0047
- Ryan P, Duffield C. Contractor Performance on MEGA Projects – Avoiding the pitfalls. EPOC-MW Conference. Engineering Project Organization Society. 2017. Editors: Mahalingam A, Shealy T, Gil N.
- Shen W, Tang W, Siripanan A, Lei Z, Duffield C, Wilson D, Hui K, Wei Y. Critical Success Factors in Thailand's Green Building Industry. JOURNAL OF ASIAN ARCHITECTURE AND BUILDING ENGINEERING. Architectural Institute of Japan. 2017, Vol. 16, Issue 2. DOI: 10.3130/jaabe.16.317
- Duffield C, Wilson D. Delivering Australian Roads with PPPs– Global management of business risks. People and Places in Project Management Research. 2017. Editors: Young M.
- Sofi M, Lumantarna E, Duffield C, Mendis P. Effects of Interior Partition Walls on Natural Period of High Rise Buildings. INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF STRUCTURAL STABILITY AND DYNAMICS. World Scientific Publishing Co. 2017, Vol. 17, Issue 6. DOI: 10.1142/S0219455417710067
- Shen W, Tang W, Wang S, Duffield C, Hui K, You R. Enhancing Trust-Based Interface Management in International Engineering-Procurement-Construction Projects. JOURNAL OF CONSTRUCTION ENGINEERING AND MANAGEMENT. ASCE - American Society of Civil Engineers. 2017, Vol. 143, Issue 9. DOI: 10.1061/(ASCE)CO.1943-7862.0001351
- Duffield C, Atmo G, Zarei H. Financing and procuring major infrastructure: A comparison of three international PPP style projects. People and Places in Project Management Research. 2017. Editors: Young M.
- Mandiartha P, Duffield C, Thompson R, Wigan MR. Measuring pavement maintenance effectiveness using Markov Chains analysis. STRUCTURE AND INFRASTRUCTURE ENGINEERING. Taylor & Francis Ltd. 2017, Vol. 13, Issue 7. DOI: 10.1080/15732479.2016.1212901
- Kafle B, Zhang L, Mendis P, Herath N, Maizuar, Duffield C, Thompson R. Monitoring the Dynamic Behavior of The Merlynston Creek Bridge Using Interferometric Radar Sensors and Finite Element Modeling. INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF APPLIED MECHANICS. Imperial College Press. 2017, Vol. 9, Issue 1. DOI: 10.1142/S175882511750003X
- Mandiartha P, Duffield C, Razelan ISBM, Ismail ABH. Pavement maintenance optimization model using Markov Decision Processes. Journal of Physics: Conference Series. Institute of Physics Publishing. 2017, Vol. 890, Issue 1. DOI: 10.1088/1742-6596/890/1/012104
- Mandiartha P, Duffield C, Razelan ISBM, Ismail ABH. Risk management, governance and financing issues in Public Private Partnerships – Transport projects. FGIC 1st Conference on Governance & Integrity, 2017 “Innovation & Sustainability Through Governance”. 2017.
- Lei Z, Tang W, Duffield C, Zhang L, Hui K. The impact of technical standards on international project performance: Chinese contractors' experience. INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF PROJECT MANAGEMENT. Pergamon. 2017, Vol. 35, Issue 8. DOI: 10.1016/j.ijproman.2017.09.002
View a full list of publications on the University of Melbourne’s ‘Find An Expert’ profile