Dr Meenakshi Arora
- Remediation of Land and GroundWater (Groundwater, contaminant transport, remediation)
- Stream health (Surface Hydrology)
- Urban Water Management (Water-Energy nexus, Demand forecasting)
Dr Meenakshi Arora is a Senior Lecturer and E Learning coordinator in the Department of Infrastructure Engineering at The University of Melbourne. She teaches Water and Waste Water Management, Groundwater Hydrology and supervises Masters and PhD students. Dr Arora has extensive experience in water resource management research and teaching. She completed her PhD from Indian Institute of Technology, Delhi, India in August 2006 on Fluoride and Arsenic removal from underground water. Since then, she has worked as a researcher/lecturer for the Indian Institute of Technology, New Delhi, India and TERI University, New Delhi India. Her main research interests are Urban Water Cycle modelling, Water quality, Contaminant transport modelling and stream health. Dr Arora has close collaboration with Victorian water authorities such as Melbourne Water, Yarra Valley Water, City West Water and industries including BP, Veolia Environment and PANalytica. She has made significant contributions in understanding the integrated urban water cycle modelling, water-energy nexus and interactions between various centralised and decentralised water supply systems and their impacts on the existing infrastructure. She has contributed to development of a cost effective defluoridation plant to provide safe drinking water to the communities in rural India and currently serves on NHMRC's 'Fluoride Reference Group' panel to advise on the fluoridation of drinking water in Australia. She has worked in extreme environments of Antarctica to study the contaminant transport behaviour at sub zero temperatures and played an instrumental role in development of modelling tool to interpret capture of soluble hydrocarbons in freezing grounds. Dr Arora was awarded the 2013 Victoria Fellowship through VESKI and funded by the State Government of Victoria for a study mission to three prestigious Universities of USA. The main aim of this study mission was to develop a triple-bottom-line framework for integrating decentralised water supply systems using existing water service infrastructure, with minimal financial, environmental and social impacts. In 2014, Dr. Arora was a successful receipt of a grant from Carlton Connect and Smart Water Fund to assess the potential environmental offsets for Victorian urban streams utilizing Integrated Catchment Management approach. Dr. Arora chaired a 3 day conference on 'Practical Responses to Climate Change' held in Melbourne in November 2014 as part of Engineers Australia's National Convention. She has organized various sessions in national and international conferences and published widely in high impact journals. She serves as a member of editorial boards as well as reviewers for various journals of high repute. She is member of various departmental committees including Co-ordinator for Open Day, Member, Departmental Engagement Committee, Member, Departmental Education Committee and Member, School of Engineering India Engagement Strategic Group.
- Biswas Chowdhury R, Moore G, Weatherley A, Arora M. Key sustainability challenges for the global phosphorus resource, their implications for global food security, and options for mitigation. JOURNAL OF CLEANER PRODUCTION. Elsevier. 2017, Vol. 140.
- Rathnayaka K, Malano H, Arora M, George B, Maheepala S, Nawarathna B. Prediction of urban residential end-use water demands by integrating known and unknown water demand drivers at multiple scales I: Model development. RESOURCES CONSERVATION AND RECYCLING. Elsevier Science. 2017, Vol. 117.
- Rathnayaka K, Malano H, Arora M, George B, Maheepala S, Nawarathna B. Prediction of urban residential end-use water demands by integrating known and unknown water demand drivers at multiple scales II: Model application and validation. Resources, Conservation and Recycling. Elsevier Science. 2017, Vol. 118.
- Feldman D, Arora M, Sengupta A, Pattigrove V, Grant SB, Bury K, Sahimi M. The Water-Sustainable City Science, Policy and Practice. . Edward Elgar Publishing. 2017. Editors: Feldman D.
- Biswas Chowdhury R, Moore G, Weatherley A, Arora M. A novel substance flow analysis model for analysing multi-year phosphorus flow at the regional scale. SCIENCE OF THE TOTAL ENVIRONMENT. Elsevier Science. 2016, Vol. 572.
- Sapkota M, Arora M, Malano H, Moglia M, Sharma A, George B, Pamminger F. An Integrated Framework for Assessment of Hybrid Water Supply Systems. WATER. MDPI AG. 2016, Vol. 8, Issue 1.
- Arora M, Ngo T, Aye L, Malano H, Lade O. An Integrated Simulation and Visualisation Platform for the Design of Sustainable Urban Developments in a Peri-Urban Context. Balanced Urban Development: Options and Strategies for Liveable Cities. Springer International Publishing. 2016. Editors: Maheshwari B, Singh VP, Thoradeniya B.
- Hassell K, Kellar C, Townsend K, Arora M, Berg K, May A, Pettigrove V. Assessment of Impacts from a Wastewater Discharge in a Whole of-Catchment Context. Water e-journal. Australian Water Association. 2016, Vol. 1, Issue 3.
- Rathnayaka K, Malano H, Arora M. Assessment of Sustainability of Urban Water Supply and Demand Management Options: A Comprehensive Approach. WATER. MDPI AG. 2016, Vol. 8, Issue 12.
- Sapkota M, Arora M, Malano H, Moglia M, Sharma A, George B, Pamminger F. An Overview of Hybrid Water Supply Systems in the Context of Urban Water Management: Challenges and Opportunities. WATER. MDPI AG. 2015, Vol. 7, Issue 1.
- Low KG, Grant S, Hamilton A, Gan K, Saphores J-D, Arora M, Feldman DL. Fighting drought with innovation: Melbourne’s response to the Millennium Drought in Southeast Australia. Wiley Interdisciplinary Reviews: Water. 2015, Vol. 2, Issue 4.
- Feldman DL, Sengupta A, Stuvick L, Stein E, Pettigrove V, Arora M. Governance issues in developing and implementing offsets for water management benefits: Can preliminary evaluation guide implementation effectiveness?. Wiley Interdisciplinary Reviews: Water. 2015, Vol. 2, Issue 2.
- Arora M, Malano H, Davidson B, Nelson R, George B. Interactions between centralized and decentralized water systems in urban context: A review. WILEY INTERDISCIPLINARY REVIEWS-WATER. Wiley-Blackwell Publishing. 2015, Vol. 2, Issue 6.
- Rathnayaka K, Malano H, Maheepala S, George B, Nawarathna B, Arora M, Roberts P. Seasonal Demand Dynamics of Residential Water End-Uses. WATER. MDPI AG. 2015, Vol. 7, Issue 1.
- Biswas Chowdhury R, Moore G, Weatherley A, Arora M. A review of recent substance flow analyses of phosphorus to identify priority management areas at different geographical scales. Resources, Conservation and Recycling. Elsevier Science. 2014, Vol. 83.
Level: 04 Room: 4.18
Engineering Block D, Parkville
University of Melbourne
T: +61 3 83446644
View a full list of publications on the University of Melbourne’s ‘Find An Expert’ profile