Dr Roser Casas-Mulet
- Freshwater ecosystems
- Hyporheic zone
- Regulated rivers
- Stream temperature
I am Research fellow in the Department of Infrastructure Engineering at the University of Melbourne. I obtained my PhD in Environmental Engineering at the Norwegian University of Science and Technology, Trondheim, and my MSc and BSc in Forestry Engineering and Natural Resources Management at the University of Lleida, Catalonia, Spain, with a one-year stage at the University of Aberdeen, Scotland, UK.
My general research interests lie on the analysis of environmental changes occurring in rivers, particulary in regulated systems where more often difficult decisions on how best to balance water demands and environmental protection need to be made. I have experience in the topic from both a pure research and applied angles, providing me with the view that firm scientific understanding on environmental processes should be the base for the management of aquatic ecosystems.
To date, my lines of research have focused on the interlinks between physical and ecological processes in freshwater ecosystems. I have studied river systems at several spatial scales, from the biological response to physical changes in the hyporheic zone (patch-scale), the hydraulic modelling of dynamic mesohabitats and drying-out areas at the reach scale, to the analysis of environmentally friendly hydropower operations at the catchment scale.
Currently, following up from my PhD research, I am interested on the physical processes occurring in the the hyporheic zone and areas of groundwater upwelling during hydrological disturbances (flood, drought) in extreme climatic conditions (heat, cold). I am particularly interested in the role of these areas to buffer extreme water temperatures, and their potential to serve as aquatic ecology refugia for key organisms. Such research will be very valuable for the future management of regulated rivers in the context of a changing climate.
- De Little SC, Casas-Mulet R, Patulny L, Wand J, Miller KA, Fidler F, Stewardson M, Webb J. Minimising biases in expert elicitations to inform environmental management: Case studies from environmental flows in Australia. Environmental Modelling and Software. Elsevier Science. 2018, Vol. 100. DOI: 10.1016/j.envsoft.2017.11.020
- Casas-Mulet R, Lakhanpal G, Stewardson M. The relative contribution of near-bed vs. intragravel horizontal transport to fine sediment accumulation processes in river gravel beds. Geomorphology. Elsevier Science. 2018, Vol. 303. DOI: 10.1016/j.geomorph.2017.12.013
- Casas-Mulet R, Alfredsen KT, McCluskey A, Stewardson M. Key hydraulic drivers and patterns of fine sediment accumulation in gravel streambeds: A conceptual framework illustrated with a case study from the Kiewa River, Australia. Geomorphology. Elsevier Science. 2017, Vol. 299. DOI: 10.1016/j.geomorph.2017.08.032
- Wilkes MA, Neverman AJ, Casas-Mulet R, Adeva-Bustos A, McCluskey A, Ouellet V, Vanzo D, Franklin PA, Silva AT. Early careers on ecohydraulics: challenges, opportunities and future directions. Journal of Ecohydraulics. Taylor & Francis. 2016, Vol. 1, Issue 1-2. DOI: 10.1080/24705357.2016.1249423
- Saltveit SJ, Alfredsen KT, Casas-Mulet R. Establishing mitigation strategies for salmonid gravel stages in hydropeaking rivers. 11th International Symposium on Ecohydraulics (ISE). The University of Melbourne. 2016. Editors: Webb JA, Costelloe JF, Casas-Mulet R, Lyon JP, Stewardson MJ.
- Casas-Mulet R, Saltveit SJ, Alfredsen KT. Hydrological and thermal effects of hydropeaking on early life stages of salmonids: A modelling approach for implementing mitigation strategies. Science of the Total Environment. Elsevier Science. 2016, Vol. 573. DOI: 10.1016/j.scitotenv.2016.09.208
- Casas-Mulet R, Alfredsen K, Brabrand A, Saltveit SJ. Hydropower operations in groundwater-influenced rivers: implications for Atlantic salmon, Salmo salar, early life stage development and survival. FISHERIES MANAGEMENT AND ECOLOGY. 2016, Vol. 23, Issue 2. DOI: 10.1111/fme.12165
- Casas-Mulet R, McCluskey A, Stewardson M, Lakhanpal G, Gee E. THE EFFECT OF CLOGGING, BED-FORMS AND BIOTURBATION ON HYPORHEIC EXCHANGE-EXPERIMENTAL STUDIES AT THE FLUME SCALE. 11TH INTERNATIONAL SYMPOSIUM ON ECOHYDRAULICS. 2016.
- Casas-Mulet R, King E, Hoogeveen D, Duong L, Lakhanpal G, Baldwin T, Stewardson M, Webb J. Two decades of ecohydraulics: trends of an emerging interdiscipline. Journal of Ecohydraulics. Taylor & Francis. 2016, Vol. 1, Issue 1-2. DOI: 10.1080/24705357.2016.1251296
- Casas-Mulet R, Lakhanpal G, Stewardson M. VERTICAL AND HORIZONTAL FINE SEDIMENT ACCUMULATION DURING FLUCTUATING FLOWS: OUTCOMES FROM FLUME EXPERIMENTS. 11TH INTERNATIONAL SYMPOSIUM ON ECOHYDRAULICS. 2016.
- Casas-Mulet R, Alfredsen K, Boissy T, Sundt H, Ruther N. PERFORMANCE OF A ONE-DIMENSIONAL HYDRAULIC MODEL FOR THE CALCULATION OF STRANDING AREAS IN HYDROPEAKING RIVERS. RIVER RESEARCH AND APPLICATIONS. John Wiley & Sons. 2015, Vol. 31, Issue 2. DOI: 10.1002/rra.2734
- Casas-Mulet R, Alfredsen K, Brabrand A, Saltveit SJ. Survival of eggs of Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar) in a drawdown zone of a regulated river influenced by groundwater. HYDROBIOLOGIA. Springer Verlag. 2015, Vol. 743, Issue 1. DOI: 10.1007/s10750-014-2043-x
- Casas-Mulet R, Alfredsen K, Hamududu B, Timalsina NP. The effects of hydropeaking on hyporheic interactions based on field experiments. HYDROLOGICAL PROCESSES. John Wiley & Sons. 2015, Vol. 29, Issue 6. DOI: 10.1002/hyp.10264
- Casas-Mulet R, Saltveit SJ, Alfredsen K. THE SURVIVAL OF ATLANTIC SALMON (SALMO SALAR) EGGS DURING DEWATERING IN A RIVER SUBJECTED TO HYDROPEAKING. 3rd Biennial Symposium of the International Society for River Science. John Wiley & Sons. 2015, Vol. 31, Issue 4. DOI: 10.1002/rra.2827
- Casas-Mulet R, Alfredsen K, GarcÍa-Escudero Uribe A. A cost-effective approach to predict dynamic variation of mesohabitats at the river scale in Norwegian systems. International Journal of River Basin Management. Taylor & Francis. 2014, Vol. 12, Issue 2. DOI: 10.1080/15715124.2014.917314
View a full list of publications on the University of Melbourne’s ‘Find An Expert’ profile